School Funding Systems
Equity, Transparency, Flexibility
Education Resource Strategies, September 2010
You’re a district leader who wants to see higher student achievement and balance your district budget—and that is getting harder. Budget cuts loom for at least another couple of years. There is pressure to use federal stimulus dollars to fill gaps and backfill longstanding programs but also to turn around struggling schools. This confluence of tough times and unprecedented federal support presents a major opportunity to transform school systems through effective funding practices.
This guide offers practical guidance for school districts to remedy specific resource misalignments that prevent the effective implementation of strategic school designs.
- Use the Self-Assessment to determine whether your district is achieving the goals of strategic school design and portfolio management.
- Learn more about the effective allocation of talent, time, and money and the causes of misalignment between resource allocation and strategic goals.
- Apply the methodology detailed in the worksheets in this guide to figure out the extent of the misalignments in your district.
- Identify action steps you can take.
- Determine your priorities for reallocating resources and leveraging federal dollars.
Also, consider checking out the other Practical Tools for District Transformation we have available:
- Seven Strategies for District Transformation
- Resource Check
- School Funding Systems: Equity, Transparency, Flexibility
- School Design: Leveraging Talent, Time, and Money
- The Teaching Job: Structuring for Quality